[agl-dev-community] Collabora weekly progress w/e 12th July 2020

Hi All,

Please find below a brief summary of the progress Collabora have made last week on Weston/Wayland.

Weston / Wayland

Marius:

- SPEC-3382 (Cluster-demo/cluster-receiver), tested out waylandsink on x86_64. Polished and
  pushed a MR for integration into meta-agl-cluster-demo.

- Still on SPEC-3382, wrote a native XDG-shell cluster-receiver application. Intent is to
  make this one run-by-default while the Qt variant is only built and kept as a example, as
  users might still find this useful.

- Still related to SPEC-3382, pushed a change to allow the dashboard and the receiver app bind to
 the private extensions. This change is necessary to allow demo apps work out-of-the-box but
 more discussions are required to determine what would be immediate course of actions with
 respect to new applications requiring/needing private extension interaction.

- SPEC-3455, SPEC-3348 (Raspberry pi4 scaling issue) - so far decided to mark platforms
 that can't drive a 1080p display as unsupported. Seems there are potential users that were
 using lower resolutions due to HW contrains. Need to discuss in the next dev meeting how to
 proceeed on this front. Related to this topic and to my previous item (SPEC-3382), I've started writing
 small library stub as an interface for the private extension with the idea that (all) apps would
 need it. In this particular case, relying on the toolkit to do scale but retrieve from the compositor
 dynamically some information for that to happen.  On the same subject, I have sandbox branches
 for all applications in case we decide to have them statically arranged.

 Things currently looking into:

 - Discussions over the alexa-viewer patch I submitted last week revelead the necessity of having
 activate_by_default hooks installed for other surface roles. While looking into that, I noticed we
 lack some behaviour consistency on how other types of surfaces are activated by default.
 Tracked by: SPEC-3494

 - SPEC-3382 - push and polish a MR for the native xdg receiver app. Make it run-by-default.

 - SPEC-3455, SPEC-3348 - we have a couple of options here to go with for applications, but
 the panels are on the client (shell) side so they'll not be affected by those.
 Would like to see how to go about it for scaling the panels.

Kind regards,

Nick

_._,_._,_

Links:

View/Reply Online (#8523) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic