[agl-dev-community] Collabora weekly progress w/e 24th May 2020

Hi All,

Please find below a brief summary of the progress Collabora have made last week on Weston/Wayland.

Weston / Wayland

Marius:

       - further validation of the topic branch integration for agl-compositor (removal
    of -*windowmanager packages) and conversion of remaing apps. So far, testing it
    in a virtualized environment until I have a working version for the H3 board (BSP integration
    is in the works for).

    Remote display of windows/applications:

    - initial conversion of tbtnavi application, which I've used to test out window/application
    placement on other outputs.

    - testing out xdg_output/qtwayland display of human-like representation of the output such that
    we can make use of it when applications want to be displayed on other outputs. Application parse
    the list of available outputs and choose the output they want to be displayed on. Windowmanager was
    abstracting the remote output, by making of use of layer specially created (assigned on other outputs).
    This required the usage of configuration files to decide which application can be transferred
    to that layer. As we no longer make use of that, we allow applications to make dynamic decisions based
    on their environment without the need to further modify compositor configuration files.
    The policy engine is the one making the decisions if constrainment is necessary.

    - added and implemented a 'remote' role for the surface, that acts (like the other surface roles: split or
    pop-up) as a hint for the compositor to make further necessary adjustments. Protocol explicitly demands
    an output but this was (still) necessary to display the surface once the application has started (a feature
    that we call display_by_default). Note that both the activation request and the surface role assingment
    request explicity requires an output, which allows dynamic surface placement for free, without further
    manipulation of configuration files, nor require compositor modification.

    - Modified tbtnavi to make use of the 'remote' surface role.

    - Policy engine designers can check the surface type and the output it is being used to display the surface
    in order to restrict/refuse placement of the surface on that respective output

    - The above are, for the moment, under review to determine which is the best course of action, the alternative
    being to use some sort of a tagging mechanism based on application-type roles, similarily to what the
    windowmanager had previously.

    Things currently looking into:

  - SPEC-3280 - Remote-display/placing sufrace IDs over to other outputs, looking into testing out some
corner cases, especially the interfaction between setting window properties with the 'remote' surface role and the
activation request
- SPEC-3386 - Improve documentation (useful in explaining some of the protocol and internal design as to
provide better explanations for further design implementation)

Things to do in queue:
- SPEC-3382 Investigation of cluster demo image w/ tweaked area and role configuration for
    the windowmanager
- input focus for background/regular applications, added SPEC-3344 for tracking

Kind regards,

Nick

_._,_._,_

Links:

View/Reply Online (#8371) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic