[agl-dev-community] Collabora weekly progress w/e 1st March 2020

Hi All,

Please find below a brief summary of the progress Collabora have made last week on Pipewire and Weston/Wayland.

Week 9 2020

PipeWire

George:
    - Merged Julian's fade in/out support branch in wireplumber;
      note that upstream support in pipewire has not been merged yet
    - Reviewed and merged Julian's unit test fixes
    - Started designing a more flexible API for implementing session management functionality
      associated with endpoints and streams. This will allow reusing parts of the current
      audio endpoint pipeline, which was created specifically to target AGL's needs, to
      create pipelines that target desktop and other use cases. At the same time, this API
      should make it easier to implement new components in the future.

Julian:
    - Fixed hanging issues in wireplumber unit tests by running the main loop in the same
    thread as the unit tests.
    - Fixed small wireplumber issues when running JACK audio clients, and created MR.
    - Started implementing WpVideoEndpoint sub-class to handle video clients in wireplumber.

Weston / Wayland

Daniel:

Marius:

    - back-merge of next into master still revealed some build failures. Most of them
    seem to have a fix (still pending for merging).  A couple of them where closer to my
    part: WAM gcc update and  chromium68 build failure. Helped in testing some of the fixes.
    All of the them have Jira items associated.

    - Related to WAM: turns out that chromium68 does not expose wayland primitive that
    allow binding the agl-shell protocol interface (we normally piggy-back on the wayland
    connection and use that to retrieve the registry and bind to the interface). Had an
    attempt to expose it but proved that it ain't sufficient and wasn't successful in
    using it (thought it looked it could've have worked -- seems to be related to
    namespacing/bulding but not really sure at this stage).
    Reached out to Igalia to help out a bit with it or provide some assistance. Still
    waiting for more feedback on this side. Initial suggestion (from Igalia) was to
    provide an abstraction layer in chromium68 and expose it that into WAM. While this
    seems alright for upstreaming purposes it is a rather big detour and I'd have liked
    to advance a bit in WAM to see what else might be needed (for homescreen at least we need
    a way to pass the a surface back from chromium68, for instance). I'm still waiting
    here to get more information, then I'll see how to proceed.

    - Related to policy-manger: Due to build failures and WAM hold-up for the moment,
    started to prototype a  policy API which should allow adding hooks in the compositor
    but also provide the means  to inject events/states back in the compositor.
    Half way through at this point. Looking into testing it.

Kind regards,

Nick

_._,_._,_

Links:

View/Reply Online (#8125) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic