Re: cultural sensitivity towards new comers (was Re: voting rights in general)

+1 Melinda

On Tue, Mar 26, 2019, 1:58 PM Melinda Shore <melinda.shore@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 3/26/19 7:41 PM, Keith Moore wrote:
> If someone points out that I've made a bad assumption or that I've made
> a design choice that would cause problems, I don't consider it unkind to
> have it pointed out to me.

Of course not, and that's not in dispute.  Maybe I've missed
something but I haven't seen anyone say that disagreement is
not okay or that argument is not okay.  But, people really need
to stay away from ad hominem argumentation, imputing malicious
motivation to someone who disagrees with you, and so on.  When
you suggest that you think it could be a boon to the organization
to have participants behave in a way that drives out people with
low tolerance for abuse, you're basically arguing in favor of
that abuse, or at least that's how I read it.

There are other technical organizations no less rigorous than
the IETF (some arguably moreso) with much narrow, more stringent codes
of conduct than we have.  If we're concerned about bringing new
people in (and I think we should be) and trying to make sure that
our output remains relevant to how networks are being used, I
think we need to ratchet back the animus.  I'd really like to see
wg chairs step up and take some responsibility for making their
working groups good places for people to do productive work, and
for all of us to be thoughtful about the consequences of creating
hostile environments for other participants.

Melinda