Re: cultural sensitivity towards new comers (was Re: voting rights in general)

On 3/26/19 2:33 PM, Melinda Shore wrote:

On 3/26/19 7:28 PM, Keith Moore wrote:
No, we're saying that in IETF we have a responsibility to effectively
call attention to design flaws.
Right, but the question is whether or not we're able to do that
without being unkind.

"unkind" is subjective, and heavily dependent on one's assumptions.   The point is that different assumptions are appropriate in IETF.   What's not appropriate is to expect IETF to cater to everyone's assumptions, no matter how much they impede IETF's work.

(Of course there are some things that are unkind no matter what, e.g. insults to someone's person, culture, background, etc. Question ideas, respect people.)

If someone points out that I've made a bad assumption or that I've made a design choice that would cause problems, I don't consider it unkind to have it pointed out to me.  I consider it helpful, maybe because I can make my proposal better with such knowledge, or maybe because I can stop investing in something that simply won't work. Either way, everybody wins.
Plus, when you do it you need to be open
to the possibility that 1) you're wrong, 2) you're making different
tradeoffs, 3) that it's a difference of opinion rather than someone
else being mistaken.

Absolutely.

Keith