Re: cultural sensitivity towards new comers (was Re: voting rights in general)

On 3/26/19 12:46 PM, Yoav Nir wrote:

With the same cultural norms, if someone goes to the mic and calls you out for what you are saying, he’s either a rude boor who should be ignored, or someone who is so important and knowledgeable that he’s not bound by the rules. I don’t know how it helps to show you a slide saying that around here everyone will call you out in public. Are we just saying that everyone is a rude boor?

No, we're saying that in IETF we have a responsibility to effectively call attention to design flaws.   Sometimes, doing so in public is appropriate, especially because it affords the opportunity for others who are present to agree or disagree. It's called making effective use of meeting time, and honoring the effort and expense that other participants have invested to be there.

We also have a responsibility to listen to constructive criticism when offered, even if that might be offensive in a different context.

There's nothing rude about it.  What's rude is expecting people to not do such things.

Keith