Re: cultural sensitivity towards new comers (was Re: voting rights in general)

On 3/26/19 5:29 PM, Adrian Farrel wrote:
> Well, no! We should be civil and polite to everyone, and we should not need
> to behave differently to one subset.

[no hats]

Indeed!  I'm puzzled by arguments suggesting that people
don't know how to respond politely to someone who's wrong,
anyway, and the entire cascade consequential to that.  For
example, if the goal is to have very smart people participating,
it seems likely to me that the intersection of the set of
very smart people and the set of very thick-skinned people
is almost certainly smaller than the set of very smart people
(and by definition cannot be larger).  I also suspect that
over the decades we've essentially selected for people who
are rude and/or thick-skinned, and we've gotten into a
situation that's self-reinforcing and very difficult to
change.  And a third issue is that it seems prudent to me to
allow for the possibility that you're wrong, as well, and that
it might be wise to leave yourself room to be wrong gracefully.
And, of course, a fourth issue is that while sometimes people
are just plain wrong, in many cases they're making different
tradeoffs from the ones you're making and they have different
priorities.  In the interest of doing good work and producing
quality results it would make sense to try to work that out
rather than to assume there are only two choices in a given
situation, one of which is "right" and the other of which is
"wrong."

I've seen chairs tolerate some surprisingly abusive behavior
on the part of working group participants and I think dealing
with that might be a first step towards developing a culture
less likely to drive off people trying to bring work here.

Melinda