Re: cultural sensitivity towards new comers (was Re: voting rights in general)

> On 26 Mar 2019, at 16:42, Salz, Rich <rsalz@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>   New participants could also stand to get some training.
>
> We offer newcomer's training on Sunday, and the same presentation a couple of times the weeks before the IETF.  Are there other things we could do? See https://www.ietf.org/how/meetings/104/newcomers/ and  https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/104/materials/slides-104-edu-sesse-newcomers-overview-for-ietf-104-00

I don’t think we can (or should) undo a lifetime of cultural training with a few slides.

If in your culture it is considered extremely rude to question a speaker in public, and instead you should approach them after the session and tell them privately what you think is wrong, you will not run to the mic and tell them their idea is stupid just because we’ve shown you a slide that says it’s OK to do so here.  At least the feedback does reach its mark in the end.

The converse is, of course, worse. With the same cultural norms, if someone goes to the mic and calls you out for what you are saying, he’s either a rude boor who should be ignored, or someone who is so important and knowledgeable that he’s not bound by the rules. I don’t know how it helps to show you a slide saying that around here everyone will call you out in public. Are we just saying that everyone is a rude boor?

Yoav