Re: cultural sensitivity towards new comers (was Re: voting rights in general)

On Tue, Mar 26, 2019, at 12:29 PM, Adrian Farrel wrote:
[Responding on thread, but not specifically to Tim]

While it is good to be sensitive to newcomers, may I suggest that we should
treat everyone the same, and that is nicely!

The theory seems to be that "It is OK to be harsh, abrupt, or shouty with
established participants when they do something we don't like, but if they
are a newcomer we should be gentle."

Well, no! We should be civil and polite to everyone, and we should not need
to behave differently to one subset.

It's also worth noting that, usually, when something devolves into animus or shouting, it's in opposition to the terseness being extolled in this thread.

Stan

Sure, if someone presses a hot button, we should say "Whoa, that is a big
red flag in the IETF." And we should offer to explain why, offline, and in
private. But why would we not do that to an established participant?

If we are nice by default, we don't need to worry about how to be nice in
special cases. Better still, we don't have to work out how to distinguish
categories of participants.

Just be professional and nice.

Thanks,
Adrian