Re: cultural sensitivity towards new comers (was Re: voting rights in general)

Sent from my iPhone

> On Mar 26, 2019, at 2:57 PM, Melinda Shore <melinda.shore@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> On 3/26/19 7:41 PM, Keith Moore wrote:
>> If someone points out that I've made a bad assumption or that I've made
>> a design choice that would cause problems, I don't consider it unkind to
>> have it pointed out to me.
>
> Of course not, and that's not in dispute.  Maybe I've missed
> something but I haven't seen anyone say that disagreement is
> not okay or that argument is not okay.  But, people really need
> to stay away from ad hominem argumentation, imputing malicious
> motivation to someone who disagrees with you, and so on.

Agree .

> When
> you suggest that you think it could be a boon to the organization
> to have participants behave in a way that drives out people with
> low tolerance for abuse, you're basically arguing in favor of
> that abuse, or at least that's how I read it.

What I meant, but perhaps was not sufficiently clear about, was that _some_ speech that would be considered rude in some cultures or contexts, should be entirely appropriate in IETF (and I would suggest, in many other contexts in which people are dealing with immense complexity and/or the potential for serious harm).  The only reason I say this is because there are many social conventions that encourage  overlooking problems and/or denial, and those conventions are therefore detrimental to IETF’s work.

I’ll give a specific example.  In some circles it’s considered inappropriate to question the technical judgment of someone who has higher “status” than oneself.  In IETF, notions of “status” should not matter.

Keith