Re: SuSE 10.2 and LOADNATIONALKEYB=1

Peter_22@xxxxxx wrote:
> >     kbd_mode -a
> >     loadkeys /boot/usb/default.kmap
> >     gpg --decrypt </boot/usb/rootkey.gpg
>
> Right this does it! So after all you do not only need the right keyfile
> but also the right keymap. Could the built-initrd.sh take care of this?
> I mean check the current language and encodings. Or at least some test?

How is the script going to know what live-CD you are going to boot next, and
what character encoding defaults that live-CD uses?

> So you would advise me to avoid euro signs? How about others like the
> greek mue or german ue? How about spaces in passphrases? I ever tried to
> choose strong combinations but now I get unsettled by all this.

µ and ü seemed to have correct encoding in both text console and X windows.
But not all distros use same encoding, Knoppix default: ISO8859-15, SUSE
default: UTF-8.

> How do I shift between ISO8859-15 and ISO8859-1?

You select some keyboard layout file at distro install time.

> How can I find out which kbd_mode is used at the time initrd script asks
> for the passphrase at boot time?

My current understanding is that keyboard mode is always ASCII at kernel
boot. Distro init scripts then change the default to something else.

> This "lang=en_US" means that I start with us keymap and change this at the
> point when the german default.kmap is loaded, right? How about kbd_mode?

UTF8KEYBMODE=1 in build-initrd.sh config sets keyboard to UTF-8 mode before
passphrase is asked.

--
Jari Ruusu  1024R/3A220F51 5B 4B F9 BB D3 3F 52 E9  DB 1D EB E3 24 0E A9 DD

-