Re: SuSE 10.2 and LOADNATIONALKEYB=1

Well, it seems I have to kneel down to your talent.

> For SUSE text console, you should be able to decrypt your key file using
> these commands:
>
>     kbd_mode -a
>     loadkeys /boot/usb/default.kmap
>     gpg --decrypt </boot/usb/rootkey.gpg
>
> Where /boot/usb/default.kmap is that strange keyboard layout from Knoppix.

Right this does it! So after all you do not only need the right keyfile but also the right keymap. Could the built-initrd.sh take care of this? I mean check the current language and encodings. Or at least some test? When setting up new keys, do I have to do this from the console or can I do it from X-Windows terminal, too? kbd_mode -a fails for X-Windows.
And how about Kernel configuration CONFIG_NLS_DEFAULT, CONFIG_NLS_CODEPAGE_850 and CONFIG_NLS_ISO8859_15? I chose them to be built into the kernel image to support codepages and languages. Is that a solution or part of my problems?

> > Is there more I can do?
>
> Yes. Avoid using euro symbol in passphrases.

So you would advise me to avoid euro signs? How about others like the greek mue or german ue? How about spaces in passphrases? I ever tried to choose strong combinations but now I get unsettled by all this.

> 2) Knoppix text console in UTF-8 mode mutates euro symbol to "e".
> 3) Knoppix X windows uses true ISO8859-15 encoding for euro symbol.
> 4) SUSE text console in UTF-8 mode mutates euro symbol to unicode "¤".
> 5) SUSE X windows uses true UTF-8 unicode encoding for euro symbol.
>
> You should be able to decrypt your key file on any working setup that is
> using ISO8859-1 or ISO8859-15 encoding, but instead of typing euro symbols
> to your passphrase, you need to type e in place of euro.

How do I shift between ISO8859-15 and ISO8859-1? How can I find out which kbd_mode is used at the time initrd script asks for the passphrase at boot time?

Regards,
Peter

-