Re: SuSE 10.2 and LOADNATIONALKEYB=1

Hi all!

A while ago I reported problems with openSuSE 10.2 (32-bit) in connection with german keymap for loop-aes. The solution is easy but not very satisfying.
Knoppix is the answer. After booting from Knoppix 5.01 Live DVD dumpkeys >default.kmap creates a usable keymap with all needed characters, including µ, the euro sign € or ü,ä,² and the like. The gpg rootkey is created in Knoppix, too. These two files are then used in the /boot folder for loop-aes. Starting encrypted root from MicroSD Card via USB works!

Below follows a list of necessary changes for the SuSE 10.2 standard kernel configuration (AMD 64-bit).
Needed changes for Linux Kernel v2.6.18.2 Configuration (SuSE 10.2 64-bit):

CONFIG_BLK_DEV_LOOP=n
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM_SIZE=4096
CONFIG_IDE=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_VIA82CXXX=y for VIA Chipset
CONFIG_SCSI=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SD=y
CONFIG_ATA=y
CONFIG_SATA_AHCI=y
CONFIG_SATA_VIA=y root drive is S-ATA
CONFIG_PATA_VIA=y
CONFIG_USB=y
CONFIG_USB_EHCI_HCD=y
CONFIG_USB_UHCI_HCD=y
CONFIG_USB_STORAGE=y
CONFIG_EXT3_FS=y
CONFIG_MSDOS_FS=y
CONFIG_VFAT_FS=y
CONFIG_FAT_DEFAULT_CODEPAGE=850
CONFIG_FAT_DEFAULT_IOCHARSET=iso8859-15
CONFIG_NLS_CODEPAGE_850=y
CONFIG_NLS_ISO8859_15=y

If you cannot find a loop device after the standard SuSE installation, install "devs-10.2-19.x86_64.rpm" package to get /dev/loop{0-15}.

Those SuSE-guys are real jerks! They mess up with every release.

A minor issue derives from the fact that booting from USB equipment requires "usbcore" to be a part of the kernel. This results in anoying warnings like this:
blue:~ # modprobe at76-usb
WARNING: Error inserting usbcore (/lib/modules/2.6.18.2-34-default/kernel/drivers/usb/core/usbcore.ko): Invalid module format
Up to now I´m unsure how to get rid of this. It likely derives from an unresolved module dependency. "depmod -a" didn´t fix it either.
I´d be glad if something of this might help other users of the crippled SuSE distros.

Kind regards,
Peter

-------- Original-Nachricht --------