Re: SuSE 10.2 and LOADNATIONALKEYB=1

Jari Ruusu <jariruusu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Do you mean unable to knoppix mount loop-AES encrypted partitions using
> key
> file created under openSuSE?
Yes, exactly. The problem occurs when passphrase contains special characters.

> Boot CD-ROM mounts normally? Right?
Using a boot CD-ROM works with no problems if the us-keymap is used. Chars like y, z should be left out. Special characters may not be found or assigned to a different key.

> All parties involved, openSuSE X/console, knoppix, and key map in /boot
> partition or boot-to-encrypted-root CD-ROM, must agree on how passphrase
> characters are encoded. Otherwise it is not going to work.
Yes, I understand this and because of that I asked again. I fear the CDs prepared under openSuSE 10.2 will no longer be decryptable with other/upcoming versions of Linux distros. Such a disaster happend to me some years ago when PGPdisk changed something in its keymapping. Fortunately, the next version, 6 months later, solved the issue.

> What happens if you apply included build-initrd.sh patch, set
> UTF8KEYBMODE=1
> in config, and create new boot CD using that new build-initrd.sh script?

I didn´t know this patch and will try it. I´m glad you answered to my questions at all. In case you know further measures please let me know.

> I see exactly same dumpkeys output from both X and console, even though
> console keyboard seems to be in ASCII mode and X keyboard in scancode
> mode.

Ok, I just thought it might be a good idea to post the dumped keymaps. I scrolled through these files but it didn´t reveal a conclusion to my mind.
So you would say both X-window/console keymaps are equal?
I´m going to report what UTF8KEYBMODE=1 does to the build-initrd.sh. With your guidance I´ll certainly find a solution.

Kind regards,
Peter
Jetzt GMX TopMail testen: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/topmail?ac=OM.GX.GX003K11713T4783a

-