Re: Spam in Red Hat lists?

On Mon, May 05, 2003 at 11:29:24AM -0400, Steven W. Orr wrote:
> On 11:11am, quoth Jeff Kinz:
> =>> =>On Mon, May 05, 2003 08:33:24 at 08:33:24AM -0400, Steven W. Orr (steveo@xxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> =>> =>> reject a bunch of spam that is voluntarily tagged as such using
> =>     SNIP
=>> that is voluntarily tagged as such using the X-Mailer header set to
=>>
=>[list snipped]
=>> or the header X-Spam-Warning.
=>>
=>> Why am I telling you this? Because the mail that I get from Red Hat lists
=>> routinely contains this stuff. I really have to question the quality of
=>> the guy (again) who admins the mail at Red Hat.
=>>
=>

> =>Steve - I suggest you file some of that "SPAM" you are getting from the redhat
> =>lists in a specific folder so you can examine it directly.  You are probably
> =>throwing away real emails.
> =>
> =>I have gotten maybe two spam items from the redhat lists over the last year
> =>and the offenders were instantly removed from the lists.
>
> So what are you saying? That I should *accept* mail that contains headers
> saying that the message is spam? Look. If someone sends me a box in the

No - I'm saying that there may be something wrong with your filter and it may
be throwing away legitimate RH list emails.  You may want to check it out.
No criticism of you or your position is intended.

> What I am doing is correct. What Red Hat is doing is wrong.

Seems unlikely - RH email lists (I am subscribed to 7 or 8 ) don't
send me any spam.  I think you may be mis-identifying some of the emails.
Are you sure your rules/filter is doing what you think its doing?

--
Jeff Kinz, Open-PC, Emergent Research,  Hudson, MA.  jkinz@xxxxxxxx
copyright 2003.  Use is restricted. Any use is an