Re: Spam in Red Hat lists?

On 2:57pm, quoth M. Fioretti:

=>On Mon, May 05, 2003 08:33:24 at 08:33:24AM -0400, Steven W. Orr (steveo@xxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
=>>
=>> I reject mail in my sendmail server based on a number of criteria. One is
=>> that I reject all mail that is sent to me in a foreign character set.
=>> Chinese, Russian, Korean, etc. The other is that I reject a bunch of spam
=>> that is voluntarily tagged as such using the X-Mailer header set to
=>>
=>[list snipped]
=>> or the header X-Spam-Warning.
=>>
=>> Why am I telling you this? Because the mail that I get from Red Hat lists
=>> routinely contains this stuff. I really have to question the quality of
=>> the guy (again) who admins the mail at Red Hat.
=>>
=>
=>I don't understand. Do you mean that you find spam in your Red Hat email
=>folders? That spam is sent to you from apparent addresses which also
=>post in Red Hat lists? Or what?
=>
=>I get a lot of spam too, but never in the shrike folder (so far, of
=>course), which I filter like this in procmail:

I get messages in my maillog every day which indicates that mail from
redhat is rejected because of spam sent through Red Hat mailinglists.

May  4 07:22:14 saturn sendmail[8516]: h44BM94j008516: \
ruleset=CheckXMailer, arg1=Pine.LNX.4.55, relay=listman.redhat.com \
[66.187.233.211], reject=553 5.7.1 Spam rejected

The ruleset CheckCMailer is the stuff that I added to get rid of mail that
is preadvertised to be spam. You can't tell from the above message what
list this came from, but I am subscribed to about 10 or so redhat lists.

--
-Time flies like the wind. Fruit flies like a banana. Stranger things have -
-happened but none stranger than this. Does your driver's license say Organ
steveo at syslang.net