Re: RBL blocking of rogers.com valid user e-mail addresses?

At 15:22 4/25/2003 +1000, you wrote:
On Fri, 25 Apr 2003, Ladislav Bodnar wrote:
> Because your measure has a potential to block email from a customer. If you
> don't see how that is wrong, then there is no point in debating this issue
> further.

You don't and haven't worked in a network operations center before have
you...

Presumptuous as well as insulting. Ladislav's level of experience is both unknown and irrelevant.

I happen to have worked at ISP's before, and I also happen to agree with him/her (can't figure out the gender from the name). So assuming that his/her (sorry!) position is bred from ignorance or naïveté is reprehensible. His/her (sorry!) opinion is perfectly valid.

However, your opinion is also perfectly valid.

Both of you agree that spam is evil and should be eliminated. However, Ladislav does not believe that an ISP or NOC should make the decision to eliminate domains or countries in order to reduce spam since this may/can/will hurt your own customer, and that one should implement as much spam reduction as possible while keeping "Zero Loss of Legitimate Mail" as your ultimate ideal. You, on the other hand, see blocking some legitimate email as a necessary sacrifice in the fight to block as much spam as possible, and you see this as a genuine service to your customer.

Your points of view and mutually exclusive and totally incompatible. But you are both right, since you each have the right to choose your path. What this means is that some people would choose Res as their ISP and be happy while others would choose Ladislav as their ISP and be happy.

I, personally, side with Ladislav. My customers are happy that way. That is why they are my customers instead of yours. Your customers are happy; that is why they are your customers instead of mine.

Agree to disagree, damn it.

-- Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx