Re: RBL blocking of rogers.com valid user e-mail addresses?

On Fri, 25 Apr 2003, Ladislav Bodnar wrote:

> On Friday 25 April 2003 12:48, Res wrote:
> > oh i dont block on 1 or 2, more like 1 or 2 hundred, but again if the
> > ISP's of these brain dead morons pulled their finger out of their @$$
> > and acted upon complaints then their would be NO need to block an entire
> > ISP, why should we just let our users get spammed because some clueless
> > twit of a sysadmin at another ISP CBF cleaning up his/her network?
>
> Because your measure has a potential to block email from a customer. If you
> don't see how that is wrong, then there is no point in debating this issue
> further.

You don't and haven't worked in a network operations center before have
you...  our measures prevent our customers getting email from those
networks, thats the whole idea of taking out an entire domain, and do you
not understand what last resort means ?

This last resport action is taken because for 2 months I tried to
get AOL and yahoo to get off their ass and do something, I was NOT
prepared to allow my users to be spammed by their twits any longer.

In the case of China, Korea and Brazill, well it's a case of tuff luck
and I can assure you RH and I are not the only ones doing it, I think
other large ISP's in teh US are blocking them, and many here, other au
ISP's also block yahoo, and I'm aware of at least 1 other that also blocks
AOL.

> Yes, spam costs money and yes, I get annoyed by it so badly I want to punch
> the wall. But I'd rather hit the delete button one thousand times than miss
> one order from a customer.

There is provision for that, when we take out a domain all customers are
notifed by message to their primary email account (which is also avaialble
on our lists server web archive), if they must get email from
person@xxxxxxx etc there is a work around to allow that contact
only to get through, but the genral populas, no way.

It is a punishment action yes, so it will affect people there is no doubt
about it, its designed to affect people, but they only have their ISP to
blame.

Your idea of  "dont give a f... about it" ignore it hit the DEL key just
doesnt cut it in the real world today, most customers would rather not be
spammed adn thats their right, if we can stop these tossers invading their
privacy in any way, then by god we WILL do it, and unlike some isp's in
this region we do it without chargeing customers extra.

--
-Res

lns01-wick-bne> ipfirewall addb reject all from aol.com to 0