Re: RBL blocking of rogers.com valid user e-mail addresses?

At 12:56 5/4/2003 +1000, you wrote:

On Sun, 4 May 2003, Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:

> His/her (sorry!) opinion is perfectly valid.

Maybe, but when it comes to my network all that counts is what I think

So, I'm guessing the previous post (the one about "it's OK to have different opinions") didn't register on your radar as it went by.

You might have a way of dealing with it that differes from many, since
implimenting the measures spam has reduced by a tremendous level, theres
no denying the facts speak for themselves.

Fact: Last year, one of my customers received an email from a person interested in her product. She had never met this person, and had no idea that receiving mail from them would ever be important. However, that email led to a sale of over $1M.

Fact: My customer is convinced that spam is evil and wishes it could all be made to go away, yet she does not EVER want domains or countries to be blocked wholesale since that "customer service" could have cost her seven figures in the name of saving her some time and traffic.

Fact: The customer was located in Brazil, using a Yahoo! account. <grin>

To sum up:

1. Your point is that your measures work well in reducing spam. I agree, and your customers agree.

2. My point is that no amount of spam reduction is worth the possibility of missing that single $1,000,000 email.

This second point leads me to conclude that, IN MY OPINION, your measures are too drastic and not worth implementing. Too much cost and too little benefit. My customers agree.

I know you don't agree. Fine. I'm just trying to show you that yes, two different points of view _CAN_ exist on this issue. You are not "right" nor is it possible to be "right", and I am not telling you that you are "wrong" in any way either. We just think differently, and (surprise!) that's OK.

Is that clearer now?

-- Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx