Re: Spam in Red Hat lists?

On 11:11am, quoth Jeff Kinz:

=>On Mon, May 05, 2003 at 10:31:31AM -0400, Steven W. Orr wrote:
=>> On 2:57pm, quoth M. Fioretti:
=>> =>On Mon, May 05, 2003 08:33:24 at 08:33:24AM -0400, Steven W. Orr (steveo@xxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
=>> =>> I reject mail in my sendmail server based on a number of criteria.
=>> =>> One is that I reject all mail that is sent to me in a foreign
=>> =>> character set.  Chinese, Russian, Korean, etc. The other is that I
=>> =>> reject a bunch of spam that is voluntarily tagged as such using
=>> =>> the X-Mailer header set to
=>     SNIP

=>Steve - I suggest you file some of that "SPAM" you are getting from the redhat
=>lists in a specific folder so you can examine it directly.  You are probably
=>throwing away real emails.
=>
=>I have gotten maybe two spam items from the redhat lists over the last year
=>and the offenders were instantly removed from the lists.

So what are you saying? That I should *accept* mail that contains headers
saying that the message is spam? Look. If someone sends me a box in the
mail that says ANTHAX on the outside of the package, I'm not going to open
it up at all. The goal here is to reject identifiable spam before
reception completes. That way the sender of the message gets a 500 series
error code so they know not to retry. (Despite the error code I suspect
that Red Hat is retrying because of the cronological grouping of the
rejected messages.) Only after reception completes does the mail go
through spamassassin where the caught spam gets placed in a suspect
folder.

What I am doing is correct. What Red Hat is doing is wrong.

--
-Time flies like the wind. Fruit flies like a banana. Stranger things have -
-happened but none stranger than this. Does your driver's license say Organ
steveo at syslang.net