Re: civil discussion on fedora lists

On Sat, 18 Oct 2014 13:14:52 +0200
Reindl Harald <h.reindl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Am 18.10.2014 um 09:10 schrieb Miroslav Suchy:
> > On 10/17/2014 08:31 PM, Matthew Miller wrote:
> >> You can say something like "I'm not sure I understand the point
> >> you are making. Particularly, I don't see how __________ follows.
> >> Can you explain that in more depth?"
> >>
> >> And conversely, if you feel like your position isn't being listened
> >> to, try
> >> "I guess I'm not making myself very clear. Let me try to
> >> restate.... Does this make more sense?"
> >
> > Ha Ha. I heard exactly that from my English teacher several weeks
> > ago. For myself, this is cultural difference too. I would never use
> > such wording in my native language. (Disclaimer: I'm not targeting
> > the original thread, but disagreement in general)
>
> +1
>
> nobody i know in real life talks that way, really nobody, never

Let me try to understand, when you say nobody does that, do you mean
that when a stranger does not understand what your are saying, say for
example at the cashier in a supermarket.

They do not say something like:
 "Sorry , I did not understand, can you repeat ?"

And instead say:
 "You are a moron that doesn't know how to speak GTFO now!"

I suspect you get the former, usually.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce * Red Hat, Inc * New York