Re: civil discussion on fedora lists

Am 18.10.2014 um 22:43 schrieb Simo Sorce:
On Sat, 18 Oct 2014 13:14:52 +0200
Reindl Harald <h.reindl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Am 18.10.2014 um 09:10 schrieb Miroslav Suchy:
On 10/17/2014 08:31 PM, Matthew Miller wrote:
You can say something like "I'm not sure I understand the point
you are making. Particularly, I don't see how __________ follows.
Can you explain that in more depth?"

And conversely, if you feel like your position isn't being listened
to, try
"I guess I'm not making myself very clear. Let me try to
restate.... Does this make more sense?"

Ha Ha. I heard exactly that from my English teacher several weeks
ago. For myself, this is cultural difference too. I would never use
such wording in my native language. (Disclaimer: I'm not targeting
the original thread, but disagreement in general)

+1

nobody i know in real life talks that way, really nobody, never

Let me try to understand, when you say nobody does that, do you mean
that when a stranger does not understand what your are saying, say for
example at the cashier in a supermarket.

They do not say something like:
  "Sorry , I did not understand, can you repeat ?"

the say "bitte?" like "please" in english (one single word) but for sure not "I'm not sure I understand the point you are making. Particularly, I don't see how __________ follows. Can you explain that in more depth?" - nowehere, never in real life

And instead say:
 "You are a moron that doesn't know how to speak GTFO now!"

nobody said anything like that in the whole thread the OP referred to and nobody neends to pack "WTF are you talking about" in a paragraph with 50 lines to be as polite as possible

read the last interview of Linus and you maybe understand what i am talking about - packing the relevant information in 100 lines of pseudo-code to be polite, friendly and the best human in the world don't help anybody

people not taking every single word personal in a technical dicussion would help everyone because the noise/information ratio would be much more appropriate