Re: civil discussion on fedora lists

On 10/17/2014 08:31 PM, Matthew Miller wrote:
You can say something like "I'm not sure I understand the point you are
making. Particularly, I don't see how __________ follows. Can you explain
that in more depth?"

And conversely, if you feel like your position isn't being listened to, try
"I guess I'm not making myself very clear. Let me try to restate.... Does
this make more sense?"

Ha Ha. I heard exactly that from my English teacher several weeks ago. For myself, this is cultural difference too. I would never use such wording in my native language. (Disclaimer: I'm not targeting the original thread, but disagreement in general).

You don't need to agree in the end, but you can get a better understanding,
and unlike a back-and-forth email jousting match, it can be helpful for
people reading along as well.

If you guys are replying to the same thread twice+ in hour then there is something wrong. Please leave the second email open and send it tomorrow. In the mean time:
 * others can step into discussion too
 * you may find there was just cultural difference
* you may find there was language barrier as lots of contributors does not speak English fluently. * or it is just not worth to continue in discussion and rather do some coding. If you still find your email useful the day after, then send it. But I very often delete it, because when the dust settle I do not find it constructive any more.

Mirek

P.S. Yes, this email have been in Draft folder over night before I hit Send button.