Re: No more deltarpms by default

On Fri, Oct 17, 2014 at 2:53 PM, Tom Rivers <tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 10/17/2014 05:09, Reindl Harald wrote:
>>
>> on a 56kbit modem you don't want to download the full RPMs and on a
>> 150Mbit line the download will always be faster than rebuild the RPM
>

> Perhaps this has already been suggested, but why not ask a question during
> the installation of the OS?

Because it makes no sense and pushes it to the user. The os (i.e we)
should handle that.
In that case we should do both 1) have lower bandwith requirements
(i.e use deltas) *and*
2) have fast installation of updates.

Those two goals are not mutually exclusive. Its just the current
implementation that is lacking.
So instead of messing with questions during the installation we should
just fix that.

> Also, for what it's worth, for the past 25+ years I've been part of a
> development team that writes code for products like a physician practice
> management system and software that automates wholesale distributors.
> Anytime we introduce a new configuration option we try to offer as much
> choice as possible without taking functionality away from those that expect
> it to remain the way it is.  Choice is key in this process and every time
> we've embraced it our customers have been happiest.

You customers would be *way* happier if stuff would just work without
having them
to mess with options until the correct configuration is found.

Asking the user is the last resort when everything else fails.