Re: No more deltarpms by default

On 10/17/2014 05:09, Reindl Harald wrote:
on a 56kbit modem you don't want to download the full RPMs and on a 150Mbit line the download will always be faster than rebuild the RPM

Perhaps this has already been suggested, but why not ask a question during the installation of the OS? For example, during the installation process it may be possible to simply ask the user whether they want to set themselves up for full downloads or not. Based on the answer to the question, you can choose delta RPMS or not. It is also possible to put something in the output of running an update that says to some effect, "If you want to limit bandwidth usage, <insert instructions on how to adjust the settings here>." Those are just two examples of how it may be possible to have the best of both worlds. Anyone who has played video games over the past couple of decades knows that questions about one's Internet connection speed are the norm during installation/configuration so perhaps it makes sense to implement something similar in this instance.

Also, for what it's worth, for the past 25+ years I've been part of a development team that writes code for products like a physician practice management system and software that automates wholesale distributors. Anytime we introduce a new configuration option we try to offer as much choice as possible without taking functionality away from those that expect it to remain the way it is. Choice is key in this process and every time we've embraced it our customers have been happiest.

Tom