Re: civil discussion on fedora lists

On Sat, Oct 18, 2014 at 09:10:46AM +0200, Miroslav Suchy wrote:
> >And conversely, if you feel like your position isn't being listened
> >to, try "I guess I'm not making myself very clear. Let me try to
> >restate.... Does this make more sense?"
> Ha Ha. I heard exactly that from my English teacher several weeks
> ago. For myself, this is cultural difference too. I would never use
> such wording in my native language. (Disclaimer: I'm not targeting
> the original thread, but disagreement in general).

Makes sense that there are some cultural differences here. But I think
the underlying concept has some universality. Discussion is more
productive in general when participants are active listeners and seek
to understand the other points of view rather. Is there a different way
you would approach the above which would feel more natural?

The rest of your message, which I'm not quoting, is excellent advice,
by the way — thank you!

I also found this article
<http://www.peterstark.com/2011/constructive-disagreement/>, which I
recommend reading. It's a little focused on business communication
rather than on community collaboration, but I think generally applies
here too.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>