Re: [HEADS-UP] systemd for F14 - the next steps

  On 07/22/2010 06:37 PM, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> Personally, speaking as a person_and_  a sysadmin, it would be
> worthwhile to have a big freakin button somewhere that allowed me to
> disable all native systemd config files and let me run sysinit style
> files when the situation demands... ie crap like puppeted
> configurations. It doesn't have to be the default but something that
> lets me get Fedora 14 into my existing local managed environment and
> start the transition process to native systemd on the timescale that
> makes sense in context of that local management infrastructure.

I think it's time to re-inform everyone since they seemed to be so
focused on systemd and have completely forgot about upstart.

Nobody has said anything that upstart was being deprecated nobody!

However Lennart has mentioned before he already has created a patch
which makes upstart parallel installable with systemd but somehow nobody
noticed that in the discussion probably due to that fact they were to
focused on systemd and all the doom it brings.

FESCO made sure that we could back out of this if it all went south and
what do you think the fallback is ;)

So we can all be on the same page if you dont want to use systemd you
are not being forced to do so.

Systemd might be the default in F14 but upstart is still alive and kicking.

All you have to do is to install the upstart package after his patch has
landed ( Casey already had OK the patch their just waiting for OK from
Bill which is on vacation or was ) and add this line on the kernel
command line "init=/sbin/upstart" and everything will continue to work
as it always has.

In short no systemd doom of horror will rain upon ye ;)

It should be in every sysadmins capability adding the package and add
the kernel parameter.

Now that everybody has been (re)informed we can go back on focusing
working out these issues together without any negativity on any ones behalf.

JBG