Re: [HEADS-UP] systemd for F14 - the next steps

On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 1:46 PM, Matthew Miller <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 10:21:07AM +0200, drago01 wrote:
>> FWIW this is the reason why upstart pretty much ended being a renamed
>> sysvinit without offering any benefits because people are afraid of
>> change.
>
> That's what we call a successful transition. Now, we can incrementally
> introduce improvements over the next few releases.

Once you start doing that people will cry because it is different from
what they are used too (does not matter if the change is for the
better or worse).

> Rsyslog is another example of the same thing.

I can't really comment on that because I don't really know what
rsyslog was supposed to offer over syslog.

>> The books won't magically be rewritten in time for F16 (people aren't
>> even using systemd so why write / update books) ?
>
> Because updated books sell? But authors need some lead time.

How many books about initng exist?
Hmm... zero?

It is a chicken-egg problem ... as long as systemd isn't used anywhere
there won't be any updated books.

>> Isn't it one of Fedora's missions to innovate and lead and not stay in
>> the past forever because people are afraid of change?
>
> That last part isn't in the mission, no.

Than please read http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Overview

"The Fedora Project always strives to lead, not follow."

Which means "not wait for others to do the work but do it"

>> (Note: I am not addressing a particular change here; but people's
>> resistance against *any* changes=).
>
> Resistance to any change is a good baseline.

Not when it comes to the level to hinder any progress.

> Otherwise, you're changing all
> the time for no reason -- it's like saying "Imagine how much faster our cars
> could go if there were no friction!".
>
> The tricky part is finding out the appropriate level of friction. And that
> works better if we discuss in a constructive way as a community. There's a
> disturbing tendency among the no-friction advocates to cry "bike-shedding",
> but actually gathering feedback is an important part of the process.

Where did I say that one shouldn't gather feedback?
Feed and constructive criticism is helpful  regardless of change or not.

But "foo is worse than bar because it is different than bar" just
doesn't cut it.

Some have actually commented in "the interface is hard to
understand/use because ..." which is the proper way to provide
feedback, but "how dare you change the existing system screw you" is
just crap.