Re: SuSE 10.2 and LOADNATIONALKEYB=1

> Please tell me
> what "kbd_mode" command in text console in your version of Knoppix says,
> and
> what hex codes those problem characters output.

Well, I am currently in KUbuntu 7.04 64-bit. It's a Live CD with Linux ubuntu 2.6.20-8-generic kernel for x86_64.
For X-Window:
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo kbd_mode
The keyboard is in raw (scancode) mode
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo read x ; echo -n ${x} | od -Ax -tx1 -
sudo: read: command not found
000000

For console:
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo kbd_mode
The keyboard is in Unicode (UTF-8) mode
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo read x ; echo -n ${x} | od -Ax -tx1 -
sudo: read: command not found
000000

> If you want to standardise on Knoppix defaults and want to operate with
> both
> Knoppix and SUSE, then you have to convince SUSE installation to use
> Knoppix
> keyboard layout and character encoding.

My aim is working SuSE 10.2 box with acceptable encryption for disks and removable media.

> Quote from your "Wed, 24 Jan 2007 12:14:13 +0100" posting:
> > X window terminal:
> > 000000 c2 b5 e2 82 ac 20 c2 b2 c2 b3 58
>                ^^^^^^^^
> > system console (ctrl+alt+F1):
> > 000000 c2 b5 c2 a4 20 c2 b2 c2 b3 58
>                ^^^^^
> Above are supposed to be hex codes for same characters. Your SUSE X
> windows
> and text console use different hex codes for euro symbol. The X windows
> hex
> code (e2 82 ac) is true UTF-8 euro, but text console hex code (c2 a4) is
> UTF-8 ¤.
>
> My .fi text console keyboard layout outputs correct euro hex code (a4) for
> ISO8859-15 encoding, but in UTF-8 mode it outputs wrong hex code (c2 a4),
> same as yours.

There was some option in the kernel configuration concerning ISO8859-15, in the NLS section. I remember that I built it to the kernel, just like all the times before. May that cause my problems?

> When does it fail? Does Knoppix mount fail, or does encrypted-root-initrd
> mount fail?

Doing the encryption work on SuSE 10.2 just the same way as I did with 10.1 results in a rootkey that cannot be decrypted due to the said special character issue. My work-around was to use Knoppix Live DVD to make up a rootkey and dumpkeys >default.kmap. I encrypted "/" from the Live DVD as well. This approach allows for full en-/decryption and maintenance with Knoppix and booting the SuSE installation from a USB Stick. Once the SuSE distro has booted the rootkey fails to decrypt.

> Did you create that new default.kmap after fresh SUSE boot, or after you
> had
> loaded that euro-incompatible-knoppix keyboard layout?

My first attempt was to do it as allways: Install fresh SuSE 10.2 from retail DVD and do what the loop-aes readme says. Using Knoppix default.kmap became a work-around to fix this problem in a timely fashion. My fear is that using SuSE might lead to encrypted media, such as DVDs, CDs or external HDDs that might not be decryptable in future versions of SuSE. They may change some keymap again and I did not understand what they actually did.

> Did you encrypt your key file in X windows or text console? As is shown
> above, X and text console output different hex codes for euro symbol when
> keyboard is in UTF-8 mode. If you encrypted your key file in UTF-8 X
> windows
> and attempted to decrypt it in UTF-8 encrypted-root-initrd boot text
> console, then it is guaranteed to fail.

Yes, for sure I use the X-Window terminal to prepare loop-aes and all its sources, including gpg and rootkeyfile. This was never a problem.
I will boot the Knoppix DVD right now and tell you what the kbd_mode output looks like there.

Best regards,
Peter
Jetzt GMX ProMail testen: www.gmx.net/de/go/mailfooter/promail-out

-