Re: OSX in a non-apple?

On 10/28/10 2:09 PM, Herschel Mair wrote:
My Macbook has been replaced twice. My Macbook PRO just hangs up for no reason from time to time.

Of the 25 imacs that we had in our computer lab in Oman, there were always 5 or 6 out of commission. The technician from Apple was there once a week to collect the fallen and walking wounded.

Now there's be no reason to get a new computer except that I'm teaching Photoshop and CS5 won't $#@&%%% work on my older G5. I have avoided the issue and there's nothing I want to do for my own work that I can't do on CS4... But now I must get a pentium machine/s to load CS5 onto and I'm nervous about buying Apple imac, especially when spending my own money instead of college money.... because I don't trust its reliability.
Our company has dozens of MacBook Pro's. Except for a couple of spares they are all the Intel based "Silver Key" era models. That model did ship with a defective video card (NVIDA's problem not Apples) and Apple has recalled that era MacBook to do a free replacement on the video card. So if one day it just doesn't boot up, take it to an Apple store. Its a free (once since the new cards don't have the defect) repair.

Of our MacBook Pro's at work, they have all run like troopers and are fast and efficient. The only issue has been this faulty graphics card. Our web developers love them as well as our graphics people. Both myself and our other product trainer also have them and really would not want any other computer/OS to work on.

Oh and I do a lot of photo editing and with 4GB on this MacBook pro I have plenty of horsepower.

That said, as I mentioned before Mac's disk drive format doesn't need defragged but it does need to maintain about 15% free disc space so that it can stay optimized. If you're drop below 15% free space, expect performance problems.

Rob

--
Rob Miracle
Email:   rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx