OSX in a non-apple?

Has anyone here got any experience loading OSX onto a non apple machine?

I hear it can be done but I wonder if there are hardware problems... I'm so sick of Apple's overcharging and elitism... I have to buy a new laptop for my accounting and the software I have is for OSX. Really the simplest of modern machines will do perfectly so why not buy an ACER for $300.00 instead of a macbook for $1100?

Herschel