Re: neat gimmick I found on the web

"Emily L. Ferguson" <elf@xxxxxxxx> writes:

> At 11:48 PM +0100 10/14/05, Bob Talbot wrote:
> >Removing the IPTC information is trivial: I can do it straight from
> >Excel :o)
>
> Trivial, yes.  And the removing of it constitutes proof that the thief
> knew the image was not his/hers.

Unless it was incidental to cropping or resizing.

> >Even without being a smart-a. Removing it is as simple as opening it
> >and resaving.
>
> Resaving?  Which software removes the info just by resaving?  Not PS,
> unless you fall for one of those dumb web shows, or use prepare for
> web, in which case it does get stripped out.  Otherwise it stays with
> the image.

Just uncheck "save non-image data", I thought.

> >Of course, if you have registered your image and find someone using
> >your shot you might make some money. But we don't have the equivalent
> >over here.  It would be an uphil struggle and you would have to be
> >sure it was worth fighting.
>
> Registration is cheap, simple and needs to be done frequently.  And it
> does protect the holder of the copyright if the thief lives in a
> country with is a signator to the Berne Convention.

That's an interesting phrase, it "protects" the holder.

By most definitions, it doesn't.  It doesn't prevent somebody from
stealing the image, after all.  And not doing it doesn't risk placing
your image in the public domain (any more).  So in what sense does it
"protect" anything?

It's a necessary precondition of prosecuting, of course, and
especially for claiming statutory damages.