Re: neat gimmick I found on the web

At 11:48 PM +0100 10/14/05, Bob Talbot wrote:
Removing the IPTC information is trivial: I can do it straight from
Excel :o)

Trivial, yes. And the removing of it constitutes proof that the thief knew the image was not his/hers.

Even without being a smart-a. Removing it is as simple as opening it
and resaving.

Resaving? Which software removes the info just by resaving? Not PS, unless you fall for one of those dumb web shows, or use prepare for web, in which case it does get stripped out. Otherwise it stays with the image.

Of course, if you have registered your image and find someone using
your shot you might make some money. But we don't have the equivalent
over here.  It would be an uphil struggle and you would have to be
sure it was worth fighting.

Registration is cheap, simple and needs to be done frequently. And it does protect the holder of the copyright if the thief lives in a country with is a signator to the Berne Convention.

--
Emily L. Ferguson
mailto:elf@xxxxxxxx 508-563-6822 New England landscapes, wooden boats and races, press photography http://www.vsu.cape.com/~elf/