Re: neat gimmick I found on the web

Bob Talbot <BobTalbot@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> > Do they MAKE monitors with such low res anymore?  Haven't heard of
> > any for about 5 years (except LCD's of course)

> The issue is not that people have small monitors but that most don't
> browse at full screen (unlike web designers).  If IE is in a window,
> especially not a maximised one, then a "best on my own computer only"
> site from someone with a 1024x768 LCD can look garbled garbage if the
> user with an even bigger LCD screen is browsing with it windowed.

Now there's a theory I hadn't considered.  I thought I was nearly
unique in the world in using less-than-fullscreen windows for
browsing; certaintly every time I shoulder-surf somebody else, they're
running fullscreen.

(Fullscreen makes less sense on a 21" monitor at 1600x1280 than it
does on smaller setups).

> It's a certain arrogance that assumes everyone will see what you see
> (and breaks the whole idea of HTML being a "Markup" language.).   At
> workfor our intranet we have to design pages to be seen on all our
> monitors, windowed or not, and also for accesibility - visually
> impaired viewing BIG text.  It's not enough to apologise and say
> tough.
>
> It's sometimes very sobering to see your lovely page fall apart when
> someone resizes the browser window - - or, cough, has various panels
> such as history showing and eating up the theoretical max of 1024x768

I spent a LOT of time making the thumbnail page on my photo albums
take advantage of the full available width, and scale back to work
okay on much smaller screens, but it was what I wanted.  And I can't
remember another photo album anywhere that does that, though there
must be some.  I really *really* hate horizontal scrolling, except in
special cases (I've seen people do an album as one very wide page, so
you scroll horizontally *instead of* vertically; that's not so bad).