Re: neat gimmick I found on the web

karl shah-jenner <shahjen@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> : Which page has the mailto: code?
> the front page, where you have " contact me " down the bottom links in the
> html as:

> ANY email harvesting program will find this in a jiffy!

So what?  I need spam protection in place anyway, it doesn't matter.

> : I personally receive about 75 pieces of spam a day, none of which
> : ever arrives in my Eudora mailboxes.  My ISP is very efficient.
>
> spammers are getting craftier by the minute, and they need is a few web
> bugs on your machine (mac, linux or otherwise) and you're KNOWN to them :-(

I'm known to them from addresses on web pages, addresses in Usenet
postings, addressesin my domain registrations, and so forth.  So what?

(Not that they get any web bugs from me; one of the advantages of
reading email via SSH connection to my Linux box).

> here's another way to pop your 'contact me' details on a web page that's a
> little harder for spambots and harvesters to gather..
>

> lets say your email is : NNNNN@xxxxxxxx
>
> this bit below is what yopu bung into your webpage and magically it makes a
> real email address out of gibberish!
>

> <SCRIPT><!--
> function escramble()

All these javascript solutions block lots of people from being able to
get the address, not acceptable to me.