Re: Power consumption and WLAN APs

On Fri, 17 Oct 2008, Gary wrote:

> I know it's difficult to do in a production environment but have you
> experimented with different AP firmware revisions? 3.4.0 is still very
> solid but some of the interim releases between there and 3.7 broke more
> than it fixed. I'm not on any of their announce lists or I'd have
> noticed that 4.0 dropped some time in the past month, too, but I'm wary
> of trying it from my past bad experiences. Keep in mind, though, that
> this is for my home LAN and I've only one SSID and one AP -- very
> different from the Cisco WLAN that I manage at the office (two SSIDs) or
> the network you've described. You may not have the resources to
> reproduce a similar setup and Proxim's not likely to take much interest
> either but I've never contacted their support staff to know either way.

We have	AP-4000M v4.0.0(1257). I think we'd been advised to upgrade to
fix other problems (dropping connections when people move around), though
that may have been a config problem. I'm not the primary manager of the
wireless network, and I forget the details. Some stuff cleared up when we
went to central management so the configs are guaranteed all the same.

I have had a ticket open with Proxim for months, but nothing useful yet.
There was a suggestions to "disable unique SSIDs". I think that fixes my
problem but makes life impossible for casual users as they have to enter
an SSID blind. Not an option.

Kalle said he'd looked at my packet captures but I haven't heard back
recently. I suspect I'd only get this fixed by locking a Proxim engineer
and a Nokia engineer in a room with the devices and not letting them out
till it works. Unless it's some problem with the spec itself, in which
case I'd need to add an IEEE guy.

--
Andrew Daviel, TRIUMF, Canada
Tel. +1 (604) 222-7376  (Pacific Time)