Re: Power consumption and WLAN APs

"ext Andrew Daviel" <advax@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> I was able to get the IBM laptop into monitor mode using the madwifi
> instructions (thanks) - airodump did not do it as it does on the tablet.
> # wlanconfig ath0 destroy
> # wlanconfig ath0 create wlandev wifi0 wlanmode monitor
> # ifconfig ath0 up
> # echo '801' > /proc/sys/net/ath0/dev_type
>
> then I could use tcpdump or ethereal/wireshark. If I don't suppress
> prism headers then I can't refilter with "tcpdump wlan host <node>"
> which makes it hard to sift through the traffic at work.
>
> I have placed some capture data on my server at
> http://andrew.triumf.ca/reqauth/PSM/
> (password test/test to keep out robots and the clueless)

First of all, sorry for taking so long. I was on vacation and had some
urgent things to do first. The capture data is really helpful, thanks
a lot for that. I'm looking at them right now.

I cannot download mad26.home.no.unique.beacons.cap and
mad27.home.test.beacon.cap, server gives me 403. Please fix this
whenever you find the time.

Filtering usually makes my work harder and I prefer unfiltered capture
data, but at the same time I fully understand your privacy concerns.
Especially I'm interested with PS-Poll and Ack frames but, for
example, broadcast frames from the AP might have an effect. But I can
manage with this for now, it's just that I have to do more guesswork.

Also can you please file a bug for this? I really don't want to get
this buried into email. Having this in bugzilla makes it much more
visible.

--
Kalle Valo