Re: Power consumption and WLAN APs

On Sat, 26 Jul 2008, Andrew Daviel wrote:

> I may be able to get a spare Proxim AP to take home. There's a limit on
> what I can mess with on our production WLAN :-7, and I'd have a less
> noisy environment.

Well, I got one. The power consumption seems normal (i.e. PS mode seems
to be working). I did an HTTP GET off the tablet httpd every 20 seconds
with no apparent effect on battery (1%/hour slope or whatever). If "more
data" or DTIM bits were getting stuck I'd think that would trigger it.
But as before, I can't see any problem in captured data.
Foo. What's different:
- at work there are multiple APs each with 3 SSIDs with VLAN
   tagging
- at work there is way more traffic - unicast, broadcast, multicast
- at work there are more clients

I seem to have the same power issue on at least 2 different APs at work,
and I think 2 different VLANs. Wish I could easily stick an ammeter
inline instead of waiting a couple of hours ... hmm, tiny little clips
from a logic analyzer lead set ... perhaps not impossible...

--
Andrew Daviel, TRIUMF, Canada