Re: Power consumption and WLAN APs

On Wed, 15 Oct 2008, Gary wrote:

> Andrew Daviel wrote:
>> Meantime after trying
>> several local stores for an OEM one I found this clone which has worked
>> nicely ever since.
>
> I ask because the only time I had battery issues was when I'd installed
> one of the early canola betas. It seemed like it had some background
> networking task that ran on bootup as my battery drain problem on my
> N800 went away as soon as I uninstalled it. Are your replacement battery
> specs identical to the original?

AFAIK, yes. Or maybe 100mAH less. I think Nokia offer two slightly
different batteries.

As per the rest of the thread which goes way back (before my summer
conferences and vacation), my problem is that the WiFi eats power talking
to the Proxim APs at work, as if Power Save mode were not enabled (which
it is). It's fine talking to a Linksys AP at home, and it's fine talking
to a Proxim AP with only one SSID enabled. I can see nothing wrong
eyeballing the network traffic with Wireshark, but I'm not an 802.11
expert. We use the same APs for staff and visitor networks, so we need
the multi-SSID feature.

Andrew