Re: Out for discussion: draft-leiba-ietf-iana-registrations

FWIW...

On Apr 10, 2020, at 2:51 PM, Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I kind of agree with one of your points below:-)

Issues of note to the IESG should be offered by the IESG as a whole.

Asking that the IESG reach consensus on everything they
do before they run something by the community seems to me
like a pretty bad plan.

Why couldn’t that be said of every doc in any WG then?

What we’d have are people flinging docs to the IETF list and spinning up the whole community before the pockets of interest and expertise weighed in. That’s inefficient and why we try to home things in a WG and work *up* the hierarchy, not down.

In this case, yes - I think the IESG should have reached a rough consensus on this first. Again, we’re not talking about an arbitrary issue; we’re talking about an IETF-wide process change, which is absolutely the purview of the IESG anyway.

Joe