Re: Out for discussion: draft-leiba-ietf-iana-registrations

Hiya,

On 10/04/2020 22:42, Joseph Touch wrote:

>> On Apr 10, 2020, at 2:37 PM, Stephen Farrell
>> <stephen.farrell@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> I noticed that the tradition is formulated as a principle laid
>>> down by an authority in other venues.  I don't know whether the
>>> persons doing that are aware of the weaknesses.
>>
>> FWIW, I wouldn't get too hung up on this point. A lot of the time
>> ADs (or recent ex-ADs) are the ones writing drafts like these
>> because nobody else cares really - it's just that ADs see these
>> issues crop up over and over and tend to want to fix 'em;-)
>>
>> S.

I kind of agree with one of your points below:-)

> Issues of note to the IESG should be offered by the IESG as a whole.

It wasn't the one above. I don't know what you even mean.
Asking that the IESG reach consensus on everything they
do before they run something by the community seems to me
like a pretty bad plan.

> FWIW, it’s also possible that this little echo-chamber sees what it
> things are huge problems that the rest of us don’t need to burn
> cycles trying to fix, too.

That's a fair point yes. (Well, the "echo-chamber" part is
egregious, but otherwise it's fair.) That doesn't mean that
the proposals are always wrong though. (In this case, I
don't really care enough about the specifics so would be
neither for nor against the draft itself.)

Cheers,
S.