Re: Tolerance

On Jul 17, 2019, at 5:55 AM, Keith Moore <moore@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I think I understand the problem and agree that long conversations are tiring and discourage participation.   But how does one know when posting that the thread will never go anywhere?   Is it wrong for people to continue to seek resolution just because others don't care or have given up?

It’s wrong to seek resolution at all unless it is useful.  I mentioned this particular thread because you’ve been going back and forth with various people for 42 messages just under just this subject line, which is one of several that sprung from the original thread.  You are never going to get resolution on this, because there isn’t consensus on it: some people believe one thing, and some people believe another.   Continuing to discuss it is not adding value, and hasn’t been for quite some time.

The reason I brought up the book Thanks For the Feedback and the book The Art of Possibility a couple of weeks (!) ago, during the early part of this discussion, is that I think we at the IETF really don’t have any good heuristics for how to give and receive feedback, and both books are not only highly topical but also very useful in terms of providing better heuristics.

As far as I can tell, O(nobody) actually bought or read either book.   And here we are ineffectually going around and around and around again in this discussion, with you still feeling like you haven’t gotten resolution and yet still imagining that you can.   I say this not as a personal criticism, but simply to point out that your heuristic isn’t working.