Re: Tolerance

To reinforce what Melinda's saying: I dedicate less time to IETF work than I otherwise would, specifically because of the hostile and alien nature of debate here. I have colleagues who feel the same way, and other colleagues who refrain entirely from participating at the IETF because of it.

I also moderate a popular forum, and have found that people model their behavior on what they see others do - when hostile posts are left unchallenged, more people start posting in a hostile way. That's why it's particularly important to maintain the highest standards of behavior in online communication - to create a virtuous cycle of professionalism rather than a downwards cycle of unprofessional behavior.

It can certainly take a lot longer to write an email that expresses disagreement strongly but without attacking the recipients (or other parties). Often it takes multiple revisions. But it's worth all of us taking the time and making those revisions in order to make the IETF a sustainable venue.