Re: Tolerance

On 7/13/19 12:12 PM, Michael StJohns wrote:
> IMO, "Alienating" is a very strange word to compare and contrast with
> persuasion.

I think it's one of several words that can be used to describe
what's happening.  I do think that the quality of discourse
(using both "quality" and "discourse" somewhat broadly, here)
in the IETF puts off potential new participants coming from
communities where "browbeating," "intimidating," and
"hectoring" are not tolerated, and "alienating" applies in
that case.  Possibly more significantly, bullying is not
employed in service to persuasion, but to get the other
person to shut up and go away.  That's alienation, as well.
That's about winning.  It absolutely is not about finding the best
technical outcome.  (It's also antithetical to looking for consensus.)
Unfortunately I think the current situation is self-perpetuating,
as newer people either model the behavior they see around them
or throw their hands up and leave.

Melinda

--
Melinda Shore