Re: Tolerance

On 7/15/19 10:50 AM, Keith Moore wrote:
On 7/15/19 12:32 PM, Jacob Hoffman-Andrews wrote:

To reinforce what Melinda's saying: I dedicate less time to IETF work than I otherwise would, specifically because of the hostile and alien nature of debate here. I have colleagues who feel the same way, and other colleagues who refrain entirely from participating at the IETF because of it.

I believe you.   But could you drill down a bit into (i.e. define more precisely) "hostile" and/or "alien"?   Because I suspect these words mean different things to different people.
Several months ago a draft was posted to a WG I don't normally contribute to. I had relevant deployment experience, and also wanted to ask questions to better understand the topic. However, the first post was one WG regular telling the author "You are insane to propose <technical thing>."

I have better things to do with my time than potentially being called insane by strangers, so I didn't join, didn't post, and instead has a useful offline conversation with some trusted coworkers. That's a concrete example of how uncollegial behavior discourages participation.

A more useful post would have said "I'm against <technical thing>. It would break X because Y, and would also break Z."