Re: Proposed Photography Policy - Transparency and Leadership

On 3/5/2018 8:18 AM, Tim Chown wrote:

There is no such conflict.   The IETF does not use individual or small group photos to establish the identities of IETF participants.   If it did, I could google, e.g., "David Black IETF" and see a picture of David, whose face I can picture in my mind, and happen to know is associated with that name.   But I don't get a picture of him.   David is a pretty important IETF participant (in my mind at least).  I don't know that he has a particular allergy to having his photo taken.   If the IETF were actually using peoples' pictures in the way that you are claiming here, I would have found his photo with a Google search.
Or maybe if Google worked better - there's a lot of "leadership" photos at https://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/photos/, including David's, presumably without alt or meta tags. (Although actually I get two photos of David from Googling 'IETF David Black', and one of Gorry, and none from Binging 'IETF David Black'.)

I know I shouldn't add one more message to this thread, but the mention of pictures and search engines triggers a "privacy reflex". Several companies appear to be in the business of collecting pictures of faces. When the picture can be attributed to a specific person, it becomes training material for their face recognition algorithms. Get enough pictures, and the algorithms can then recognize you in various other environments, such as feeds of surveillance cameras.

I don't know whether this particular privacy battle is "already lost", as many seem to believe. I think it is not. Our faces are constantly changing as we age, not to mention changing hairstyle, growing or shaving beards, let alone adding jewelry or tattoos. The face recognition data bases need to be updated with these continuous changes, or they loose precision. Fewer pictures of your face on the Internet means fewer data for these surveillance businesses.

My personal attitude is thus to avoid publishing photographs of faces, so as to not feed the beast.

-- Christian Huitema