Re: Proposed Photography Policy - Transparency and Leadership

> On 5 Mar 2018, at 16:09, Ted Lemon <mellon@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> On Mar 5, 2018, at 10:44 AM, Toerless Eckert <tte@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> The primary issue IMHO wrt. photography is the conflict between safety and
>> the need for IETF work to have a clear public, transparent core.
>
> There is no such conflict.   The IETF does not use individual or small group photos to establish the identities of IETF participants.   If it did, I could google, e.g., "David Black IETF" and see a picture of David, whose face I can picture in my mind, and happen to know is associated with that name.   But I don't get a picture of him.   David is a pretty important IETF participant (in my mind at least).  I don't know that he has a particular allergy to having his photo taken.   If the IETF were actually using peoples' pictures in the way that you are claiming here, I would have found his photo with a Google search.

Or maybe if Google worked better - there's a lot of "leadership" photos at https://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/photos/, including David's, presumably without alt or meta tags. (Although actually I get two photos of David from Googling 'IETF David Black', and one of Gorry, and none from Binging 'IETF David Black'.)

Personally, I'd rather not have people taking obtrusive photos of me without asking first, and I'd rather not have any "official" photo from a meeting be used on the IETF site without permission. I'd hope in such cases people would ask me, out of politeness.  And while I probably wouldn't get too upset about it, I can appreciate that others might, and therefore some means of redress is desirable for them.

This email thread is getting very long, around 200 posts.  Surely people have drafts to finish before the deadline? ;)

Tim