Re: Proposed Photography Policy - Transparency and Leadership

Hi Joel,

Yes, we discussed this video issue in the IESG before we wrote the policy. I think there are three relevant differences:

1. Video actually is important to our operations both for documenting the meeting and to allow remote participation.
2. The actual act of videography the way we do it is fairly unobtrusive to the subject, by contrast to still photography, which can be intrusive even if the photos are never published [0]
3. The video that we take is actually pretty hard to work with to find a specific point, as anyone who has tried to work with the archives to get clarity on the minutes knows.

So, yes, this line is a bit fuzzier than I would like, but I think for the reasons above, this is about the right place to draw it.

Best,
-Ekr

[0] Yes someone can really get in your face with a video camera, and I would hope that we would discourage that as well, but that's not what meetecho is like.