Re: Proposed Photography Policy

On 03/02/2018 10:29 AM, Joe Touch wrote:

On Mar 2, 2018, at 7:21 AM, Eric Rescorla <ekr@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

[ftr, I think *I* said that]

I cannot imagine why anyone would object to giving participants a way to identify that they wish not to be photographed, and asking photographers to make a reasonable effort to honor that wish.

The key issue, IMO, lies with the idea that the IETF will enforce individual photographers ignoring that wish as harassment.

Here’s my suggestion:

UNOFFICIAL PHOTOGRAPHY
Many IETF participants also engage in photography. We ask that those
participants respect the above policies and avoid photographing
individuals who have asked not to be photographed.

(i.e., just remove the last sentence)

If anyone wants to claim harassment about being photographed otherwise, they ought to take it up with their lawyer. Photography isn’t a function of IETF meetings, and I don’t think it is useful for the IETF to try to police it (in fact, were they to try, I would not be surprised if they would end up on the wrong side of the law too).

If a photographer is repeatedly getting too close, or taking pictures of body parts, after having been asked not to, that's a case for the ombudsteam.
This proposed policy simply gives attendees a mechanism to "ask not to." If a photographer is not respecting their wishes, they still have to decide to raise it as an issue with the ombudsfolks.

Lee