Proposed Photography Policy

Hi folks,

The IESG has heard some concerns from participants that they would like
not to be photographed. In response to those concerns, we have developed
the attached policy which we intend to put in place going forward.

Please send any comments by 3/8/2018.

-Ekr

-----
The intent behind this policy is to balance people's legitimate desire
not to be photographed with the IETF's ability to document activities
and enable remote participation. In order to enable that, we are
proposing the following policy which applies to all IETF events,
including WG meetings, plenaries, and the hackathon.

LABELLING
The IETF will make available a mechanism for participants to label
themselves as desiring not to be photographed. The secretariat will
determine the details in consultation with the IESG.

OFFICIAL PHOTOGRAPHY
Any photographer engaged on behalf of the IETF should not photograph individuals
displaying the "do-not-photograph" label, should make reasonable
efforts to avoid photographing small groups with one or more members
displaying the label, and should not publish small group photographs
with such individuals in them. Photographs of large groups may contain
incidental images of such individuals and we will not attempt to
redact those. Specifically, photographs of panels and the like (e.g.,
the IESG/IAB plenary) are expected to contain all individuals
regardless of labelling.

Working group meetings are generally video recorded and broadcast, and
no attempt will be made to avoid recording individuals. However, if
the IETF publishes still frames of these videos, individuals
displaying the labels should not be shown.

Note: the use of "should" above is intended to reflect that although
this is IETF policy, it is a best effort service and some mistakes
will likely be made, perhaps because someone's label is not noticed or
visible. Individuals can contact XXX to arrange for redaction of their
images, or YYY to report abuse.

UNOFFICIAL PHOTOGRAPHY
Many IETF participants also engage in photography. We ask that those
participants respect the above policies and avoid photographing
individuals who have asked not to be photographed. Although we
recognize that mistakes will be made, repeated intentional violations
of this policy may constitute harassment and could be brought to the attention
of the ombudsteam, per RFC 7776.